Emissions Test

General Information

A licensed dealer may not issue a temporary permit on a sold motor vehicle unless the motor vehicle passed an emissions inspection test if required by Section 41-6a-1642.

A dealer may issue a temporary permit without proof of an emissions inspection if:

  1. the motor vehicle is exempt from an emissions inspection under Section 41-6a-1642;
  2. the purchaser is a resident of a county that does not require emissions inspections; or
  3. the motor vehicle is otherwise exempt from emissions inspections.

Frequently Asked Questions

If a dealer obtains an emissions test in the dealership’s name, how long is it valid?

Eleven months.

If a motor vehicle fails the emissions test can a dealer get a waiver and sell the car?

No, if the dealer intends to retail the car and issue a temporary permit he must have the vehicle repaired and the vehicle must pass an emissions test.

Can a dealer sell a motor vehicle “As-Is” without having it tested for emissions?

Yes, but the dealer cannot issue a temporary permit.

If a dealer receives a vehicle in trade and the emissions test was just done, can the dealer use it to sell the car?

Yes, if the vehicle is sold and retitled to the new customer within eleven months from the date on the emissions inspection.

Can a dealer retail a motor vehicle, not issue a temporary permit, require the customer to obtain an emissions test, and then issue a temporary permit?

No, if he retails the vehicle and issues a temporary permit, he is responsible for the emissions test.

Translate »