Temporary Permits

General Information

Temporary permits, which licensed dealers may obtain at any time from MVED, are valid for 45 days from the date they are issued by the dealer. Temporary permits may be purchased at our office, via the mail, or online at Utah’s Motor Vehicle Portal. Temporary permits will be consecutively numbered and should be issued in sequence. Form TC-756, Application for Motor Vehicle Temporary Permits must be completed and submitted with payment to purchase permits at our office or via the mail.

Expiration dates on temporary permits should be filled in on the original using a rubber stamp or marking pen in letters and numbers at least 3/4 inches high. The new style of permits also require that the expiration date be circled in the two areas provided at each end of the window portion. The original should be displayed in the rear license plate area or rear window of the vehicle. If the vehicle is a convertible or has a tint greater than 70% in the back window, then the permit must be placed in the license plate area. The permit must legible from a distance of 30 feet from the rear of the vehicle.

The duplicate permit stub, together with application materials for registration and title, should be filled out and sent to the Tax Commission Motor Vehicle Division in time for the customer to receive the new title, registration and plates before the temporary permit expires.

If a temporary permit is filled out incorrectly, the sale is rescinded, or for some other reason the permit is not usable, the dealer should return it to MVED together with the stub, and it will not be considered issued. If, however, the permit has been placed on a vehicle and the sale has not been rescinded, the permit will be considered issued and the dealer is liable for the registration fee for the vehicle together with any applicable penalties.

The dealer must keep a written record of every temporary permit he/she receives. TC-452, Temporary Permit Record can be used for this. This record should contain the name and address of each person to whom a permit is issued, date of issue, a description of the vehicle (including make, model, year, identification number, and if necessary the gross laden weight), and the license number.

Frequently Asked Questions

Does the 45-day limit include the day the permit was issued?


Does the 45-day limit include weekends and holidays?


Can I buy permits from another dealer?


Can I borrow permits from another dealer if I run out over a weekend or holiday?


If I lose a permit stub after issuing a permit what do I do when I turn the paperwork into DMV?

Write the information that should be on the permit stub on a plain piece of paper and turn it in like you would the permit stub. You will be charged a penalty equal to the registration fee.

Does a dealer have to issue a temporary permit even if the purchaser wishes to take care of his own registration?

No. In this case the dealer should deliver title for the vehicle to the purchaser within 48 hours and should also give the customer a completed dealer report of sale as proof that sales tax has been collected (41-3-301 UCA).

What if the customer loses or damages his copy of the temporary permit?

The dealer will need to get the vehicle registered as soon as possible. If the dealer is unable to title and license the vehicle, please contact MVED for further instructions at 801-297-2600.

Is there a limit to how long the dealer can keep temporary permits that have not been issued?

No. MVED has changed the numbering series so numbers will not repeat.

Can I use a temporary, extension, or non-resident permit to carry a load?

Yes, if the permit is made out for the proper gross vehicle weight and the correct fee is submitted to clear the permit stub. The fee is based on the amount of gross weight for which the vehicle is registered.

If my customer’s permit has expired and I have not been able to get his plates yet, can I change the expiration date on the permit?

No. You will have to request an extension permit.

Extension Permits

If a temporary permit has expired and the dealer has been unable to register the vehicle, the dealer may request an extension permit for the customer by calling MVED. If the request is approved, the dealer will be given an approval number, which must be recorded in the dealer’s record of temporary permits, and on the permit and stub in the space provided for the license number. The space provided on the permit and stub for the dealer name must be filled out with the words “Utah State Tax Commission” and the dealer’s license number. The remainder of the permit and stub will be filled out as usual and the stub should be sent to the department. The dealer should keep the stub from the first permit to send in with the registration application.

Under no circumstances will MVED approve any request for an extension permit if it is found that the dealer has requested extensions for more than 2 percent of his temporary permits during the last three months.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I get an extension permit for a nonresident sale?

Yes. Contact MVED to obtain authorization for an extension.

If I need to issue an extension permit at night, can I just issue one and get approval when MVED opens the next day?

No. All extension permits must be approved by MVED before they are issued. A dealer who violates this rule may have his right to issue temporary permits suspended (41-3-304 UCA and R877-23V-5).

If my customer needs an extension permit and I am over my 2 percent limit, what can he do to keep driving his vehicle legally?

The customer can come in and file a complaint against the dealer for failure to deliver title. MVED will then give the customer a temporary permit and contact the dealer about the problem.

Nonresident Permits

If a nonresident buys a motor vehicle in Utah for registration in another state, the dealer may issue a temporary permit. The dealer must file with MVED:

  • the stub portion of the temporary permit,
  • the required fee.

If MVED does not receive these materials within 45 days of the issue date, the dealer will have to pay a penalty equal to the nonresident permit fee.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why is there a registration fee for a nonresident permit?

Dealers are legally responsible for the registration fee of each vehicle for which a temporary permit is issued (41-3-302 UCA).

How does the dealer obtain a nonresident affidavit?

Form TC-721A, Sales and Use Tax Exemption Affidavit for Exclusive Use Outside of Utah is available online.

Loaded Demonstration Permits

A dealer may apply for a permit which allows him to use a dealer plate to demonstrate an unregistered loaded vehicle to a prospective purchaser. There is no fee for this permit. The information requested on the application form includes a description of the vehicle, trip, and type of demonstration, and the names of the dealership, prospective purchaser and driver. The permit should be carried in the vehicle during the demonstration trip and should be returned to the department properly completed and signed within 10 days after the trip is over.

Translate »