Dismantler License

For more information, also see Dismantlers and Crushers

Principal Place of Business

You must have a site or location in Utah that complies with all local ordinances, including zoning for dismantling and is devoted exclusively to the dismantling of motor vehicles and business incedental to it. The site must be sufficiently bounded by fence, chain, posts, or otherwise marked to definitely indicate its boundaries. There must be permanent, enclosed building or structure large enough to accommodate the office of the dismantler and this office must contain a safe place to keep the books and other records of the business. You must conduct the principal portion of the dismantler’s business from this location and you must also keep the dismantler’s books and records there. The Principal Place of Business must not share any common area with another dealer, auction, crusher, or manufacturer or any business or activity not related to motor vehicle commerce.


A permanent sign, not less than 24 square feet in size must be either painted on the office, attached to the office with nails or bolts, or placed on posts in the display yard that have been securely anchored in the ground. The sign must fully identify the dismantler and show the full name of the dismantler as it is licensed.

Dismantler Plates

A dismantler may use their dismantler plates to:

  • transport a vehicle from the place of purchase or legal acquisition to the place of business for dismantling; or
  • transport a vehicle to the place of business of a licensed crusher for disposal.

Lost or stolen plates should be reported immediately with a written notice that must be mailed or faxed to MVED. The dismantler’s local police department or sheriff’s office should also be notified. If the plate was stolen, please also list your local police agency’s case number in your written notification (41-3-507 UCA).


Include passport quality photographs of owners, partners, or corporate officers.

A picture of the Principal Place of Business and sign.

Application Form

Form TC-301, Bonded Motor Vehicle Business Application, must be properly completed and signed. Applications, bond, picture of sign, principal place of business and owners, and fees must be submitted for approval to the Motor Vehicle Enforcement Division, 210 North 1950 West, Salt Lake City Utah, 84134. Please allow five to ten working days after the application is received by MVED for on-site inspection of the place of business. The license cannot be issued until after this inspection.

Business Name

All applicants will need to file their trade name with the Department of Commerce, 160 East 300 South, Salt Lake City, Telephone 801-530-4849.