Motor Vehicle Transporters

Principal Place of Business

You must have a site or location in Utah that complies with all local ordinances, including zoning for transporter and related business. There must be a permanent, enclosed building or structure large enough to accommodate the office of the transporter and this office must contain a safe place to keep the books and other records of the business. You must conduct the principal portion of your business from this location and you must also keep the books and records there. The Principal Place of Business must not share any common area with another transporter or any business or activity not related to motor vehicle commerce.


A permanent sign, not less than 24 square feet in size must be either painted on the office, attached to the office with nails or bolts, or placed on posts in the display yard that have been securely anchored in the ground. The sign must fully identify the transporter and show the full name of the transporter as it is licensed.


  • Include passport quality photographs of owners, partners, or corporate officers.
  • A picture of the Principal Place of Business and sign should be submitted to MVED along with the application forms and fees.


License fees are as follows:

  • Transporter License $51.00
  • Transporter Plates $10.00 each (plus handling fee)

Application Form

Form TC-301, Bonded Motor Vehicle Business Application, must be properly completed and signed. Applications, all required photos and fees must be submitted for approval to the Motor Vehicle Enforcement Division, 210 North 1950 West, Salt Lake City Utah, 84134. Please allow five to ten working days after the application is received by MVED for on-site inspection of the place of business. The license will not be issued prior to the inspection.

Transporter Plates

A transporter may use their transporter plates to:

  • transport a repossessed vehicle from the point of repossession to its financial institution or to the place of storage,
  • go to and from a detail or repair shop for the purpose of detailing or repairing the vehicle, or
  • to a delivery point in, out, or through the state

Lost or stolen plates should be reported immediately with a written notice that must be mailed or faxed to MVED. The dealership’s local police department or sheriff’s office should also be notified. If the plate was stolen, please also list your local police agency’s case number in your written notification (41-3-507 UCA).

Translate »